Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Sinus Relief

Guess what this is a picture of!!

Go on, guess.......

*insert waiting music*

Did you guess Neti Pot? If you did, then you are correct. If you guessed Genie Lamp, well then, I'm sorry to say that you missed it. :(
But, Hey! go ahead and rub it and see what comes out!!

If a big green thing comes out....you COULD make a wish to it buuuuttttt.....I don't think you'll get lucky. Unless getting all the green junk out of your sinuses makes you feel lucky then....Ding, Ding, Ding...YOU WIN!!!!

Okay, all tomfoolery aside. I know what you're thinking. Well, maybe I don't. If you're thinking about Jimmy Crack Corn, then I can't really help you. If you're thinking 'What the heck is a neti pot?' or 'Ewwww...that's gross!! I could never do that!' Then, I can help.

A neti pot is the little pot in the picture above. In it you mix 1 teaspoon of non-iodized salt (sea salt, kosher salt, or pickling salt), 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and about 2 cups of warm water.

Then, you place the tip in one nostril as you tip your head to the side and let it drain out the other nostril. When you feel like you've used about half the solution, switch to the other side. I usually stand up and blow gently at this point. Once you've finished gently blow. And voila!! All done.

I know it sounds kinda gross, but I tell you that your nose will feel so clean and you'll breathe better than you ever have in your life. Its really good to do this every day, especially if you have allergies.
I really only use it when I feel like I have a little stuffiness coming on. You know its also good to gargle with salt water when you feel a sore throat coming right? Well, it's the same principle, here.

The saline solution helps to reduce inflammation and remove allergens. If you want to try it and you live in the same general area as me you can get these neti pots from our local co-op. If you don't you can get them at your health food store. Some Wal-Marts even carry them now. You might be able to find them at the pharmacy as well.

Go ahead, make a wish, wash out your nose, take a deep breath, and enjoy the rest of your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment