Monday, March 14, 2011

Etiquette

Okay. So here's what's been going on with me.

We moved our store. Its been great for business. We are in a building with more visibility. Hooray. Biz has been good so far.

We got a puppy. Just yesterday. It was stupid of me. The puppy is only 4 weeks old. 4 weeks is too young to separate from its mommy and little puppy siblings. The puppy cries all the time. She sleeps. She eats. And cries. Alot. In the middle of the night. I'm sleepy.

Also, I've been on facebook. I'm going to have to limit my time on there, seriously. Just the other day, for instance, a friend I went to high school with got into some kind of argument about religion. I can't really be sure because the original status updater apparently deleted the thread before I saw what was going on. But, apparently feelings were hurt and she unfriended a lot of people and it was very sad. The few of us who know her felt for her and know that she has a good heart.

Since then, I updated my status about the muslims who are protesting the hearings about "The Radicalization Of Muslims" My argument is that the protesters are defending the terrorists. I won't get into the whole argument as its irrelevant to this entry. A dear friends daughter is either ignorant of what's going on or didn't understand what I was trying to say and made an argument of her own. Two other friends that know my thoughts chimed in to help enlighten her. Another dear friend of ours jumped in with his own argument as he's very sensitive of the subject as his wife is Muslim and is not a terrorist or a supporter of terrorism. I explained to him that I was not talking about all Muslims, only the protesters.

Enter my previously hurt high school friend. She came in with guns a blazin, telling us to quit fighting on fb!!!! Uh...... what??? I explained to her that we weren't fighting, we were discussing and everyone else agreed. She then retracted her fighting stance and said she was just looking out for feelings that may have been hurt in the process insulting another friend that was part of her original scuffle that led to all the "unfriending". I reminded her that all the people on that thread were real friends whose opinions I valued greatly!! Again, she backed off.

Since then, she updated her own status to say that she was never again going post anything "touchy" or personal, only mundane, ordinary life things and stated that we should all follow suit. In addition to that, "it would be really cool if the people selling stuff would get their own page and if anyone wanted their crap they could go to that page, because I'm tired of seeing it."

silence.........

Okay. That's where we have a problem. I tried to say it nicely but peace can't be had.

Everyone's facebook page is their own. It is the Status Updater's page NOT the reader of the status!!! When someone posts something, we have options. We can like it. We can ignore it if we dislike it. We can "unfriend" them if we strongly dislike it. And we can comment on it if we find it interesting.

Really.

Those really are the only options one has in that situation. What isn't an option is taking it upon oneself to police everyone else's facebook page.

If you don't like it, refer to the above and see what your options are!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment