Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Is chivalry really gone?

This may be a sensitive subject, but I've become increasingly aware of the fact that you don't see a lot of chivalry from guys much anymore. I know there are some guys out there who are chivalrous but, I gotta say... I haven't seen a lot of it lately.

I was at Home Depot last week. I was making a raised garden bed. I'll tell you how I did it later. I bought about 6 large bags of garden soil. I had it on one of those big carts. Man, it was pretty heavy too! Right by my truck was a couple of guys hanging around with their wives and kids chatting, just milling around really. Not one of them offered to help me load it. I thought 'Dang! I should have worn those ratty shorts and halter top. THAT would have gotten them loaded. Then I thought 'Maybe they don't want to help because their wives are jealous types and will be angry. Hmmmm...' I would be irritated with my man if he DIDN'T offer to help.

I was mildly irritated at male society after that little interchange. I let it go, then last Sunday I went to Home Depot again to get more dirt (that bed is bigger than I thought!). Again, guys, INCLUDING guys that actually work there allowed me to load up all those heavy bags without even an offer of help. Hmmmm....now, I'm seeing an annoying pattern!!

Today, I went to a local gardening center and bought 6 good sized plants and a bag of ferti-lome. There just happened to be one of their landscapers sitting down right beside me. I clumsily pick up my purchases and begin carrying it to my truck. He NEVER even gets out of the chair!! The lady who owns the place offers to carry it for me, but that's not the point.

Is it just me or has anyone begun to notice this phenomenon as well? Maybe the feminist movement has gotten our guys gunshy about helping the ladies. Maybe they are afraid of being hit with a sexual harassment suit. Maybe there is too much display of lack of courtesy and respect on tv. Or maybe parents just aren't teaching their boys chivalry anymore. I don't know, but I don't like it!

For the guys, most of us like to be treated like ladies. When we're treated like ladies, we like to take care of our men.

I only hope my son grows into a chivalrous gentleman regardless of society's norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment