Sunday, October 10, 2010

Conservative vs Eco Friendly

I was listening to the news yesterday and heard all day about the uproar in New York about whether people on food stamps should be allowed to buy junk food. I say "Heck no!!"

'Wait a minute' you might be thinking. 'Arent you a conservative? You actually WANT government to dictate people's choices? Isnt that contradictory?'

No. And I'll tell you why.

If the government is paying for your food, then they get to tell you what you can buy with it. Its like telling your kids "You live in my house, you live by my rules." There is incentive there to get up, stand on your own two feet and make your own decisions. If someone on food stamps REALLY wants a Coke then they should think to themselves 'What can I do to earn $1.50 to buy myself a Coke?' Instead of 'I wish someone would give me money for a Coke. Stupid government wont let me have one.'

Anyway, you can see how my conservative thinking applies to this situation. Which brings up something else. How does someone reconcile their conservatism with their yoga mat weilding, herbal tea drinking, raw milk buying, organic gardening self?

This is a good question, I think, because it seems you are expected to be one or the other. Thats simple too. I care about our environment because its a greater reflection of our bodies. I'm all about improving my family's health and helping other people do the same. If the environment I live in is toxic, then its likely that my body will be toxic as well. Do you know they have found jet fuel in breast milk??

And you dont have to be "a liberal, environmental kook" to care about the environment. Its just common sense really. For instance, I use phosphate free detergents because phosphates kill toads. I'm on a mission to "Save The Toads!" because toads eat grasshoppers. Grasshoppers eat my garden and I dont want pesticides on my family's food. The toads help me do that. I dont need the governments help with that. I just want them to leave me alone and stay out of my way while I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment