Saturday, October 16, 2010

Yummm!


Yummm!
Originally uploaded by mistypearson@rocketmail.com
I live in the south and we southerners love our fried foods.

As a diet nazi, I like to eat real foods that are healthy. I also want my family to live a long, healthy life so I like to feed them healthy foods too. I, personally, plan to live to be 130 years old and I don't want to be here all by myself!!

When we first started eating healthy (as defined by me and other real foodies and not crazy fitness mags!) I found it hard to break old habits. We used to either eat out a lot or eat food from boxes. I just didn't know there was any other way. I'm sure there are a lot of people that think that way too. I know, because I've looked in their pantries. I've seen lots of Hamburger Helpers and cake mixes.

Then, I realized that if you just eat meats and veggies you're pretty set. So I bought a George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine (I love both George Foreman and his grill!!!! I read his book. You should definitely pick it up and read it) I've grilled lots on it but that gets to be just a little boring eating that all the time. Then, I figured out how you can turn almost any of your favorite foods into healthy foods just with a few little tweaks!

Now, you will see some butter in my recipes. But don't freak out!! Butter is your friend and not the enemy those crazy low fatties would have you believe. I eat lots of butter and cream and I'm not fat, nor do I have high cholesterol, blood pressure, or blood sugar. You just have to trust me on this. If you don't, then read some books by Drs Perricone and Mercola and Suzanne Sommers, Marilu Henner too. I know it sounds crazy but its true!

Here's a recipe for you:

Salmon Patties
We love to fry salmon in a patty form here in the south! You will occasionally find some who pronounce it correctly (sa-mon), but mostly you'll find everyone says (sal-mon). Don't try and correct them. They don't want to change. Believe me, I've tried. It doesn't work. Just enjoy the patties!

1 large can wild caught alaskan salmon
1 egg
1 cup oatmeal
1t. garlic powder
1t. onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

In a large frying pan, heat up some peanut oil ( I use peanut oil for frying because as far as I know, it doesn't turn into trans fats at high temps. While olive oil is a nutritious oil, it's not stable at high heats so it's not a good option for frying.)

In a medium large bowl mix up all the ingredients. form into hand size patties. When the oil gets hot, place the patties in the oil. fry until they are brown on one side and then flip. Cook until brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.

I served these with fried sweet potatoes ( melt butter in a frying pan and slice sweet potatoes. Place sweet potatoes in the melted butter and fry until mildly brown and soft. Add a little salt) and canned beans.

And voila!!! You have a pretty nutritious, quick meal! Its fairly low glycemic and has your protein, starch, and fiber. I would also serve a side salad as well to get some greens in the body. But, the whole thing takes about 20 minutes to prepare start to finish and my family loves it (Well, not my son, but he's a picky eater and behaves as if I'm poisoning him if he thinks I snuck a vegetable into his food. But, don't listen to him, he's odd. He gets that from his dad I'm sure!)

No comments:

Post a Comment