Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Growing Old-Graciously


I'm reading Connect With God every day. Its a wonderful daily devotional of sorts. Its written by Jentezen Franklin.

The entry for September 6 was so great I felt compelled to share it with you.
In Time out Ladies Dale Evans shares this prayer:

"Lord you know better than anybody that I'm getting older and will someday be old. Keep me from being talkative; from the fatal habit of thinking I've got to say something on every subject on every occasion. Release me from the need to straighten out everybody's affairs. Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details; give me wings to get to the point. I ask for grace to listen to the tales of others' pains, and to endure them with patience. But seal my lips when it comes to my own aches and pains, for they're increasing, and my love for rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as the years go by. I ask for improved mem-ory, but even more for a growing humility and a lessening cock-sureness when my memory seems to clash with the memory of others. Teach me that occasionally I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I don't want to be 'a saint' because some of them are so hard to live with - and a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil. Make me thoughtful, not moody; helpful, but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it; but you know, Lord, I still want to have a few friends at the end. Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places, and talents in unexpected people, and give me the grace to tell them so. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment