Monday, June 14, 2010

Lemon Pasta

Saturday night is Junk Food Night at our house. It's my best effort at getting my family to eat healthy. I bribe them with junk food once a week. The concept is this: Eat healthy all week and then splurge on your favorite junky things on Saturday. In theory that works pretty well. We've been so busy though with the pool business we haven't had time to breathe let alone prepare healthy meals all week. You would shake your head in pity and disgust if you happen to get a look at my roots!  So, we've been eating fairly junky for a couple of months.

I personally could live without Junk Food Night, but the guys in my house are like rabid dogs on Saturday night. Basically, I just throw food at them and then back up really fast. If not, then I'm liable to lose a hand!

So, this past Saturday night they were having cheese dip with sausage in it and Ruffles. You know the Velveeta and ro-tel stuff? Well, I'm way past ever wanting to have that again. So, I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman's website. Here's a link if you want the real recipe: http://www.pioneerwoman.com/. The recipe is lemon pasta.

I have to tell you that I'm a dumper inner and not a measurer when I cook. All my friends with really great recipes are dumper inners too and we can follow recipes perfectly well. But, if you're a measurer and this bugs you, then don't even try this recipe. If, on the other hand, you're like me, then give it a try because I made it up and its absolutely delicious!!

This made enough for just me in a big bowl, tweak it if you need more:

I boiled a handful of spagetti noodles and when they were done cooking I drizzled olive oil and mixed.
While that was cooking, I melted 1/4 c of butter and minced 3 cloves of garlic. Yes, I said 3!!! I love me some garlic. I also chopped up a handful of mushrooms and added that to the butter. When, all that sauteed, I turned off the heat and added some cream...mmmmmm, cream! Just enough to make it "saucy". Then, I stirred the noodles into the sauce and squeezed a lemon all over all of it. You need that much lemon. The lemon makes the whole dish. It's quick, it's easy, it's LEMON PASTA!!!!!!

It's not super healthy, but it's not full of junk either. So, eat it with no regrets and let me know if you just love it.

*disclaimer*  This is definitely girl food!!

No comments:

Post a Comment